Friday, February 17, 2012

Drama-rama-mama

Anyone who knows me, or well, the younger me, knows that I come with plenty of "drama". I'd like to state that I've hated it for some time, and have been able to keep my life simple for a long time now... Except when it comes to Grant. The kid is so much like me, we tend to have drama-rama days at our home. Maybe it's normal, I don't know. Today has been difficult. It's 40 degrees and he's out playing in the water. Granted that he was trying to fill up the chickens water, but OH MY GOODNESS. I just stood there trying not to yell. I just walked away. He ran after me saying he was sorry and he didn't want me to leave and he wanted me to be his mommy. It broke my heart. I told him I would always be his mom. The fact is, Grant is a great kid, I just tend to not be a great mother.
He continues to watch out for his sisters, and me. Yesterday I was lying in bed (cold and with a headache); he came in and wanted to know what was wrong. I told him, and he brushed the hair from my cheek and gave me a kiss. Amazing. He is getting easier to just deal with, and he is able to comprehend things, which helps a ton! Oh my ever growing little boy. I hope he always knows how special and loved he is!
I had a parent teacher conference with his preschool teacher last week. I guess I am not the only one who is amazed at this little boy. He has blown everyone out of the water with how much he knows and can retain. She told me to put him in Kindergarten, even if the teacher makes a big deal with him being a “young” 5. Today we did his valentines, and I was taken back when he started picking them up (after I wrote the kids names on it) and began telling me they’re names. He also knows his letters, and can say a word and tell me what it starts with. Again, HOLY COW!! I remember reading about my cousin’s boy, Drew, and how proud she was when he started learning these things… I now understand! He is also starting to problem solve. If I tell him no, we can’t do something, he comes up with a solution. He is also great at solving issues with Cami. He just amazes me.
I hope that on days like this, Grant will never question how amazing he is. I hope he never questions my love for him. He is a great kid, and he is special to me. I just need to learn to be better at this Mom thing.

1 comment:

Malita Bingham said...

It was so good to talk to you too! I wish we all lived closer! But I can't wait for you to come to Utah (meet in the middle right haha).