Thursday, June 30, 2011


About two weeks ago my lap top computer died, making it harder for me to blog. So please bare with me!!

On Sundays June 12th, I went outside in the afternoon, probably around 4, to water my garden. It was then that I noticed some smoke. It wasn't terrible, but it did catch my eye. After everyone came out to look at it, we went inside to listen to the radio about it. They did confirm that a fire had been started in Coronado National Park, which has been closed because of extreme fire danger. I asked Mark if we should put together a 72 hour kit (as we've been talking about doing it for some time) and he felt that it wouldn't get to us and not to really worry.

Monday came. The fire spread. But it was still a good distance from us, roughly 5ish miles south, but in the mountains. On Tuesday I became a little more concerned as the fire pushed north, and they began evacuating communities just south of us. I decided that we should probably go to the Maroney's and sleep, because I didn't want to deal with the smoke.

On Wednesday we were put on pre-evacuation notice. This entire time I kept thinking and telling people to not worry, it would never get to us because we're a few miles from the mountain. The kids and I had come home on Wednesday to get some rest, and that afternoon I started to feel a little panic. We had gone outside to go run some errans and the smoke was almost over my house. Again, we decided to go to Grandpa Maroney's. The next morning I came out to the house to get some things, and to water my garden really good. It was there that I learned that we were upgraded to manadtory evacuation. REALLY?!?! I only grabbed a few things to get us through the next few days... Because honestly, those things couldn't happen to me!

We decided to go to my parents for the weekend. On Thursday night we learned that the fire had jumped the highway just south of where we lived, and that it was burning a lot of land a mile south of our home. However, they were able to contain it and put it out.

We came home Sunday afternoon, and as we were getting off the freeway (30 miles north of the fire) it just looked like a bomb had gone off! By the time we had gotten to the Maroney's, the fire had jumped the highway again, but this time it was around our home. We sat listening to the scanners, and I was glued to the computer. How could this happen... Especially to me! I guess deep down I was grateful that I had burned my land a few months ago. The reports came out the next day that they had lost a lot of homes, but ours was spared. We were finally able to come home that Tuesday. The fire burned in a wash just down our street, but didn't get to to close.

I am counting my blessing, and giving thanks to Heavenly Father for saving our things. They could mostly all be replaced, but it would have been hard starting new again. Let's now pray for LOTS AND LOTS of rain!!

No comments: