Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My perfect day.

Today was a perfect day. I was awaken by my sweet 3 year old, who wanted to snuggle. I woke up feeling great and ready to take on the day.

The kids were wonderful, and I was able to get them all dressed and ready for the day. We went into Sierra Vista and did some shopping, where I scored some great deals! Upon returning home, we came in and had a great lunch. Cami went down without fail and slept for hours! I was even able to sleep. I woke up from my little nap, feeling great. I finished all my gardening, cleaned my house, and made an amazing dinner... With home made french bread that was to die for.

Oh, WHO am I kidding??!! Today marks one of the worse days. EVER. The first part happened, until about, I'd say the gardening. That's when my day got out of control.

I have had a lot of energy lately. More than I've had in a long time. So after I put Cami down for her nap, I figured I would work in the garden. Trash pick up here is only twice a week, and I only had a few weeds to burn. No biggie because we have a fire pit in the backyard, lucky us!!

I went in and got Grant, and Cami was awake. We went outside and were watching the weeds burn. The thought came across my mind, what if something happened? I would not be able to control it... I turned around to walk towards my garden and BAM, the wind blew a gush and my fire was now outside of the pit.

Freaking out, I ran with the hose, which I had on in case I needed it, but the fire was out of my reach. I starting losing it, and started screaming at Grant to go get my phone. He's 3, and in my mind I'm thinking, run... call 911... phone... where is my phone... is it in the kitchen, crud, I don't remember! I turned around to find Grant walking towards me calmly with my phone. I race outside, still not thinking clearly, and called 911. That was the longest 10 minutes of my life!! I had to walk my kids up to the front of my house and wait... And wait.

A little over an hour later the fire was out. It burned 4 acres, but did not hurt any homes or animals.

I am grateful for 4 things.

1. For Grant. He wanted to keep me safe. He knew what he was doing. And he kept me thinking as clearly as possible. And for his little prayer he said as we waited out front.

2. I'm grateful that Mark a year or so ago pulled out a fence post and hadn't repaired it yet. It helped those big trucks (at least 7) get back there... Although they did have to cut some fences, it helped some of them get in.

3. I prayed and prayed that the winds would die down. They didn't. Instead it became overcast really fast. The lead fire fighter said the clouds actually helped them fight the fire, because it made the fire not so hot.

4. Mark. I called him, and what do you say other than, "hey honey, I just set out property on fire, come home, NOW!" He came and he rescued us. He shuffled me and the kids in the car and told me to go to his moms. He took care of everything. Even after the fire fighters left, he walked around making sure that everything was out. Most importantly, he just hugged and hugged me. I feel horrible as it is, and he could plainly see I was hurting. He didn't judge or yell. He made me feel calm and at ease.

I have no doubt I was being watched over today. Grant was standing right by that pit, but the fire didn't burn near that spot until after he walked away. My family and my home are safe. It scared me beyond belief. It's a sensitive issue and I probably won't be talking about for months... well, years to come! But I felt I should probably let my family know, we're ok. Things are ok.

7 comments:

Rioux Family said...

Wow that's scary. Glad everything and everyone is ok :)

Kendi said...

I am so thankful that you are okay! Call me if you need to talk. I love you!

Anonymous said...

WOW

Darcee said...

While reading this, I had the impression that Katie was there helping you. I did something a year or so ago that traumatized me so much that I didn't eat or sleep for a week. Trauma seems to do those kinds of things to us. Give it time and you'll gain a different perspective. Glad you were all safe. {Hugs!}

John and Jessica Tilton said...

So I saw your post on FB that you have a blog - and a fire story - and had to check it out. AND OH MY GOSH! How scary!! No, no, HOW TERRIFYING!!! Good for you counting your blessings! Sweet little Grant grabbing your phone for you. Once upon a time I had a disaster similar to this magnitude and my 4 year old ran and grabbed my phone too - I think it's because they're in tune with the spirit! Anyways, I am so glad that everyone is safe, and that the house is too! What a miracle!

Salazar Family said...

How scary!! I'm glad everyone is ok!!!

A Life by Steph said...

I am so glad you guys are ok!!!! How scary.