Saturday, April 23, 2011

Our past 2 days

I was sleeping with Grant tonight, and about 3 AM I was awaken by him stirring. I felt him and he was really hot... 102.6 hot! So I'm up, not able to sleep, sitting here listening to him have a hard time. The doctor on call said it is perfectly normal to run a temp after surgery. Ugh. Not what I want to hear.

Surgery day began Thursday at 4 AM, well for Mark and myself. We woke up and got everything put in the car, dropped Cami off with Grandma Maroney and headed to Tucson for Grant's tonsil/adenoid removal surgery. I was nervous because Grant couldn't have anything to eat or drink, and much to my surprise he didn't ask once for anything. Mark and I refrained from eating or drinking because we didn't want him to feel bad... NOT wise for the pregger lady here!!

When we got to the hospital we didn't have to wait very long for anything. We got called back, and everyone was so friendly to us. Grant loved it!!! I was happy to see that he was calm and understood what was happening. I have spent the last week prepping him for this day. After they took his blood pressure he thought he was done... Poor guy!!!

Dr. Lamear came and briefly talked to us and then left. Soon after the anaesthesiologist came and talked to us about her part. And then she asked for Grant. I gave him a kiss and then he jumped into her arms. She later said he was such a delight the entire time.

We went to the waiting room, and a few minutes later I thought, well I better go to the bathroom in case they need me in the recovery room. WHILE I was using the restroom, the doctor came out and said he was done!! Dr. Lamear said he was happy with how well Grant did. He did say that Grant's adenoids & tonsils were larger than he thought they were and that it should make a big difference. It makes recovery a little easier knowing we did the right thing!

The nurse had explained to me the only way I would get to go to the recovery room is if Grant was crying and they needed me. So my stomach twisted in knots when they came for me. I prepared Grant for this, BUT I was in NO shape to see him like that. He wasn't crying. In fact, he didn't want me to pick him up. He just wanted "5 more minutes" to sleep. All the nurses came over and loved on him. He did SO good. I couldn't have been more proud of him. Sadly, I was getting sick from the smell of everything, and I had to sit and not really be there for him. Next time EAT pregnant lady!!!

We were released before 11, and we headed to the hotel. The doctor requested we stay in Tucson for 2 nights in case something happened. Grant was, well, Grant. He played and acted like himself. He even wanted food, and a lot of it!! It wasn't until a little later that it started hitting him hard. The past 2 nights have been long for Grant and myself, but during the day he is doing really well. And I'm grateful that Mark and my mom are here to watch over Grant so I can catch up on sleep.

We will be going home this morning. I am excited. I really miss Cami, this is the longest I've gone without seeing her!! I'll keep everyone posted on how the rest of the week goes. Smoothly, I'm hoping.

1 comment:

Malita Bingham said...

I am glad everything went smoothly! He looks like such a sweet boy.